Saturday, May 24, 2008

Directions

In a totally Irish moment, I stopped in a small town to ask directions on my way to Athy. It's pronounced A-tie, like the thing you wear around your neck - dare to pronounce the 'th' properly and people will look at you like you have 4 heads and then say 'Oh... You mean A-tie!! Anyhow - I stopped in Hacketstown to see if they had an atlas because mine was in my new car and I was driving the old one, which was to be handed back to the company once I returned to Arklow. They didn't have an atlas or map, of course. So I asked these two men in the car park and these are the directions I received:

Man 1: Go up to the top of town there (pointing) and you'll want to take a right - that puts you on the old Carlow road. Then you go straight through the next 4 junctions. Then you go straight through the next four junctions (that was NOT me double typing). Then you'll take a right and a left.

Man 2: Straight away! There's a large cow field right there (because there AREN'T cow fields at every other junction in Ireland??).

Man 3: Then you'll got straight through to Castledermot where you'll take a right, left, left, and right.

Uh-huh. I've been here way too long because I actually UNDERSTOOD what he was talking about and managed to find my way to Athy following their directions. Lol. Only in Ireland. ;-)

No comments: