Friday, January 12, 2007

Once upon a time...

... there was a wedding in a beautiful castle. Actually, it wasn't once upon a time. It's next Friday and I get to go! My friend Dianne is marrying her fiance Billy at Kinnitty Castle in Co. Offaly a week from today. It's a big black tie event and it should be loads of fun.

It's about a 2.5 hour drive from here and the wedding ceremony is at 1.30pm. I haven't been to an Irish wedding yet, but I've heard plenty about it. Once the ceremony starts, the wedding is on until everyone pretty much passes out at the end of the night. There's the ceremony, then everyone goes to the pub while they wait for the reception. Once the reception gets close, everyone heads there and there's a bit of a welcome reception, followed by dinner and then dancing. Once dancing starts, the people who were invited to the 'Afters' start showing up...

A tradition in Ireland as far as weddings go is to invite a core group of people to dinner and then invite more distant friends and relatives to the 'Afters' so that they can all come and party and celebrate without it costing a fortune to invite everyone to dinner. It makes sense as Irish families are so large and it's hard to pick which cousins you would invite or not invite. Choosing to include all grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins only in a wedding invite could add up to 150 guests very quickly. It really is a fun way to get together with everyone on your special day.

So that's the plan for the wedding. I'm feeling better today after getting a whole lot of sleep last night/today. I've been drinking lots of fluids and eating lots of fruits and veggies trying to beat the cold germs out. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow for my haircut and dress shopping. I don't have anything over here that's nice enough for a black tie wedding. Off to Dublin I go. I just hope it doesn't drain me. I'm supposed to meet the gals out for a quiet dinner tomorrow evening and I'm really looking forward to it. Don't want to be falling asleep, face-first in my meal!! ;-)

No comments: