Thursday, January 04, 2007

Recap continued...

So I finally got everything cleaned up and groceries bought so my sister and Kelly wouldn't starve. They flew into Dublin airport at 7.30am on Friday and today is the first day since they arrived that they haven't had much to do.

Friday was spent napping, shopping in Gorey, and pigging out on chicken parm. It was my first time making it and even I was impressed with how well it turned out. I'll be adding it to my list of regular favorites for entertaining if anyone wants to stop over for dinner!

Saturday we went to a rugby match where the boys made them do a shot of Powers (Irish Whiskey) and have a glass of Guinness before they were allowed to leave the clubhouse. The rule was that a trip to Ireland was not a trip to Ireland without whiskey and Guinness. They did it. I was impressed. I was also impressed that it didn't make them sick. We headed home and got ready to go out. It was Chinese for dinner (really GOOD Chinese) and then up to Arklow. It took all of 5 seconds at Christie's Bar to have a row of men 3 deep trying to talk to them and buying them drinks. It was fairly entertaining to watch. We headed to Oscars/Rascals for some dancing and a few late night drinks and then home to sleep it all off. I'll have some good pics within the next few days of all that fun.

Sunday was a day of more shopping in Wexford (Shaine needed dress shoes!) and off to Arklow again for New Year's Eve. It was fairly uneventful but we ran into some friends and it turned into a good night. We went to an afterhours party at a friend's house where a bunch of the rugby lads were partying. It was a really good time and they were singing everything from old Irish folk music to rugby songs. It was a bit of a Scottish/American/Irish contingent and we finally snuck out about 4am. I'm not really familiar with that part of town and we ended up on quite a few one way streets that caused us to back track in our very tall heels. I'm not sure my feet are fully recovered yet.

It took us about an hour and a half to make it back to Fernhill, where we were staying. You would have thought somebody (like the police roaming the streets) would have stopped to pick up three freezing girls in dresses and heels... It would have been much appreciated. New Years was spent sleeping in and hanging out. We rented a few movies and video games and watched 'Take the Lead'. Not bad - I'm a sucker for those dance movies though.

Tuesday we went to Dublin, where we shopped ourselves stupid on Grafton Street. The girls got a few of the latest fashion trends (maybe a post for tomorrow). It was dark and we were exhausted by the time we stumbled back to the car. I took them for some proper Irish pub food in Gorey and then we headed home to pass out.

Yesterday they went shopping in Gorey and then I dragged them to soccer training with the rest of the ladies. They both scored in the scrimmage and seemed to have a lot of fun. Shaine called today to say her hips were in severe pain, which made me feel good because I'm not sore at all and I'm an old bag in comparison!

Speaking of bags... Shaine got me a really nice Coach bag and matching wallet for Christmas. It's lovely brown and matches my new coat and all of the brown outfits I've been buying lately. Great gift!

So that's been the week for the gals in Ireland. So far as winter weather goes, it hasn't been too bad. I was expecting worse - but yesterday was really the only rainy day. A few showers otherwise but there's also been some definite sunshine. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it keeps up for the weekend! ;-)

No comments: