Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!


My first St. Patrick's Day in Ireland... I hope it's better than everybody says it will be. They tend to talk it down like it's really not a fun night, but the shear volume of people going out would convince me otherwise. This year has two advantages - 6 Nations rugby is on all afternoon so the pubs will already be packed AND it's on a Saturday.


Arklow is decorated in green orange and white flags. The shopfronts have all of their finest green clothing displayed. Little kids are walking down the street wearing funny hats with shamrocks on them (that look like they were probably a fun school art project) and the parade floats are parked along the way, being made ready for the parade.


This year's parade doesn't look to be so hot. Apparently, there's not so much as a marching band in it. It's looking a lot like boy racers and lots of business floats. We'll see.


I've finally got my broadband set up so I'm sitting on the couch watching Ireland play Italy in rugby as I watch this. It's a good match so far and Ireland is up 13-9. There are 17,000 out of 22,000 Irish supporters at the match. Their national anthem was louder than Italy's. That wouldn't seem significant, expect that the match is IN Rome! :-) Can't say they don't show their colors and support for their team!!!


I have to head to the shower so I can get over to watch the parade. We got beat in our Gaelic friendly match today. It was just one of those days where everybody was a bit off. I played most of the second half and didn't do badly for the times I got the ball. It wasn't making it up to the front of the pitch quite as much as it should have... Hard luck - and probably hard training too. Our coach/trainer seems set on the idea that we need more sprinting. Ugh! I suppose what won't kill us will only make us more fit!


I hope you're all having a great St. Patty's Day and I'll get back to you tomorrow or Monday (I LOVE having broadband) to let you know how it really turns out! ;-)

No comments: