Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Text, text, text

Lots of texting goes on in Ireland. It seems to be the preferred method of communication, right behind speaking over pints at the local pub of course. People don't call (or 'ring') each other very often - they always text. I can pretty much guarantee that if my phone rings on the weekend, it's a business call or Noush. Everybody else just texts.

I mean everybody. I know kids as young as 8 who have their own phones and they can text just as well as most adults. It's like a sport to watch the teenagers texting here. They can hold a full conversation with you in person and text and entire conversation with another person without ever losing eye contact with you. It's crazy.

I've developed a fairly quick texting hand as well. It's an easy mode of conversation while at work and it's easy enough to 'group text' a team to let them know when the weekend's matches are being played. It's also the preferred method of conversation when I need to reach my mom with a small question or tidbit of information. Way cheaper than calling and she's even gotten to the point where she uses 'text speak' to type away messages.

The other thing that's kind of funny about text is that it's really popular with tv and radio programs. It wasn't like that when I left the States, but who knows? Maybe it's getting there. Anyhow - people text in instead of calling in now. It all comes up on a computer in front of the DJ and they can read them out or discuss them or whatever. Same thing with radio contests. People text in their answers and then it's a random draw instead of the '10th caller' or whatever.

So that's my little tidbit on Irish life for today. I'm a bit busy with cleaning up other people's messes at work today, so I really should get back to it. Hope you're having a Happy Hump Day!!! ;-)