Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Santa and SingStar

As for other non-Thanksgiving items, the weekend was a still a busy one. I did a bunch of my cleaning for the dinner and then headed into town to pick Baz up from having a 'pint or two' after work with his brother Anthony. I got to the pub just in time for them to get into a bit of a spat about work and who's better at what and other things you normally hear coming from little children. I was sitting between them at the corner of the bar and it was a bit like watching a tennis game - back and forth, back and forth. As the childish banter got louder I felt like I was transported back in time to what life must have been like for their mother when they were about 10 and 12. Except now they are not 'little' boys by any means and standing well over 6 foot each with not-so-small frames. I had to stop my amusement and extinguish the flame before they started wrestling around the bar and broke something (or someone).

My Saturday was spent cleaning, grocery shopping and baking and doing other various pre-Thanksgiving prep like picking up extra chairs and tables and plates. I also went to check out the Christmas section at Arklow Building Supply to see what they've got for decorations. Santa was there! This may sounds insanely childish, at first but really there was good reason to be excited. Every year since I was born my mom has dragged me to go get my photo done with Santa. First it was me, then it was with Anne, and then the three of us. Every year. If you don't go, you don't get presents.

So I was excited when I found out he was there because it's not like home where you go and stand in line and Santa's in the middle of the mall for all to see. Here, Santa hides out in a little tent and you have to pay €7 to go see him. This doesn't include a photo or anything so it's a good thing mine is surgically attached to me (not really but all of you who know me know what I mean). Anyhow - I don't think Santa minded, as he seemed pretty eager to have me come sit on his lap, and the little elf lady thought it was sweet and took the photo for me. I think I also restored faith in a few small children who must have thought that if an adult like me was going to see Santa he must be real.

That was one of the highlights of my weekend though because even though the three of us aren't in the photo, I should be able to digitally alter it with pics from Anne and Shaine and make it look decent. Plus, my mom will be SO psyched I didn't miss a year just because I was out of the country. It's the first Santa I've met with a brogue. I wonder how little Irish kids feel when they watch The Night Before Christmas and Santa has an American accent? He did give me a cute little stuffed bear to unwrap though.

I ended up going out with the ladies from the Gaelic team Saturday night. My first girls night out over here. It was really a fun time. Noush brought her (other) drinking Jenga game, which nobody else had ever played before and that was good for laughs. Then the SingStar playstation karaoke came out. Wow, was I laughing. I don't know as many real words to Ice, Ice Baby as I though. Our captain hosted the little party and is banned from pouring/making/fixing/giving drinks anymore. She was handing out shots and mixing up liquor cocktails like it was our last night of drinking. Ever.

We eventually made it down to Kitty's for more karaoke (where I found out they're having a 'fancy dress' aka costume party in two weeks!) and Noush and I did a fantastic rendition of Devil Went Down to Georgia (she's from Atlanta) with do-see-does and all. Really fun time and I made it to bed at a decent hour to get up and cook, although I was completely EXHAUSTED all day.

I told you the weekend was busy! It was great to get all of the girls out. Now if I can only get them to all dress up for that fancy dress party... ;-)

No comments: