Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving Dinner - Irish Style

I've never cooked Thanksgiving Dinner by myself. What made me think that cooking it for 22 people would be a good idea??? Why didn't anybody slap me to try to knock some sense into me? Doing it on a Sunday (yesterday) also left me with no time to recoup. Back to work today!

Actually, the whole thing went over pretty well. Everyone got to try a few dishes that were new to them and I won't have to cook for another week with all of the leftovers. I'm still not entirely sure how I fit that much food into my tony Irish-sized fridge. It was fairly classic Thanksgiving dinner. I had appetizers out to munch on when people got there:


- Celery stuffed with cream cheese and Spanish olives
- Cheese platter
- Veggie platter
- Devilled eggs

And then there was the main course:

- Turkey
- Stuffing
- Mashed potatoes
- Gravy
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
- Carrots
- Broccoli
- Cranberry sauce
- Jello Salad
- Coleslaw
- Dinner rolls

Last but not least - DESSERT!!

- Pumpkin pie
- Apple pie
- Rasberry cheesecake
- Chocolate cake
- Pastry Tower

I think that was it. I like throwing in a few new foods to see how they'll go over. This meal it was the butternut squash (actually labelled an 'exotic vegetable' in one store) which I baked with butter, maple syrup, and nutmeg. The jello salad was new (which most of you wouldn't have had either) and they thought it was SO funny that I served something so sweet WITH the meal. Pumpkin pie was a novelty as well. I actually managed to make it from scratch and not ruin it. This was very important because pumpkins aren't as easy to get over here so I actually brought the canned pumpkin back with me from my trip home.

They fell into the tradition pretty easily too. The guys spent the afternoon watching sports on TV (although it was rugby instead of American Football) and all collapsed on the couch, half passed out afterwards. As much help as I got cleaning up last night, you can only clean up so much when you have that many people in your house so there's a decent amount of cleaning waiting to be done once I get home tonight.

All in all, a good meal and good times. ;-)

No comments: