Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Wow.

That's a one word description of how I feel about the amount of running I did at training last night. On the downside, if I sit still for too long I fear I may never be able to move again. On the upside, I'm going to be smokin' in my swimwear if I keep this up every week. We ran for two hours straight. There were one minute breaks on occasion to let us try to catch our breath a bit and occasionally get a drink of water, but mostly running. At least he switched it up so we weren't bored running in circles all night.

I think it's going to be a good season. Our new trainer's name is Paul and he's fairly serious but isn't lacking a sense of humor. You wouldn't survive training thirty women without some sort of sense of humor. I like that he doesn't let anyone slack and if somebody is trailing, he hops in and runs with them to encourage them. He even took us all inside and did a quick explanation of field positions at the end of training. I've been trying to get somebody to do that for 6 months now. Fair play to him. (That means 'great job' or 'good for him' over here.)

I added some photos yesterday from the Hunt Ball on Friday night. I didn't include any from Saturday but I figured I'd do that today. There are some amusing things that almost all Irish parties where dance is involved have in common. Kind of like at American weddings you see a lot of the YMCA and the Chicken Dance. Here, the songs of choice are 'Is This the Way to Amarillo'. I found a site that plays it when you click on the site. Ignore the rest and just listen if you go there. The other song is 'Rock the Boat', which I'm sure most of you have heard before.

During 'Is This the Way to Amarillo' people usually just get up and dance, no special moves or anything. It's just one of those songs where everyone in the place is expected to be on the dance floor and everyone sings along. There are a couple of clapping spots in the chorus, but nothing crazy.

'Rock the Boat' is the same version I've heard in the States (oldies song of sorts) but here they have a whole thing that goes along with it. Everyone sits on the floor in two rows, one behind the other, and waves their hands side to side. The 'boat' that rocks the hardest wins. It's strange and it looks something like this:

It's good fun. Just different. There aren't too many other dances over here that make it to every party. I've never seen them do the Chicken Dance and I think I may have seen the YMCA once. Just a bit of Irish party culture for you. And one more photo of the 'American Contingent' on the Gaelic Squad. This is Noush (from near Atlanta) and myself and the dance:

That's about it from the parties this past weekend. I'm going to try to keep taking loads of photos at Gaelic events so we can try to get a 'social section' on the photo wall at next year's dinner dance so keep a look out for the crazy ladies on my team! ;-)

1 comment:

Kara said...

LOVE your dress!!!