Thursday, February 01, 2007

High Heels & Peanut Butter

High heels and peanut butter. You might be wondering what they have to do with each other. Absolutely nothing. They're both on my mind today though. I'll start with high heels.

I'm tall. I'm not so tall that I stand out like a sore thumb (I'm 5'-10") but it's a bit more obvious here than at home. I have a few wonderfully tall friends in my mix at home but here it's safe to say that I only know one woman taller than me. I don't really know her - I know her to see her. Not that it stops me from wearing high heels.

I love high heels. I don't love them so much that I have a 'Sex in the City' style collection but I've got my fair share of 3-5" heels hanging around. It's seldom I'm seen out on a weekend night without a towering pair of heels on. With all of that wear, they eventually start to wear down, get worn out, and/or just need a little bit of TLC. What can I say? I love my heels but it's a bit of a 'tough love'.

So my task for the day is finding a cobbler or shoe repair guy who is able to take care of my favorite heels. This wouldn't be a problem at home because I'd look it up in the yellow pages and they'd list every shoe repair place in the area. Not so here. I opened the 'Golden Pages' for the first time today and for the whole of Ireland (because the Golden pages cover the entire country) they listed four shoe repair places. I know I've seen more than four places in the few towns I'm in on a regular basis and none of those towns were even listed. Go figure. Try the internet maybe? No luck there either. Ireland may be growing and coming up to speed but businesses (especially smaller ones) haven't quite copped onto the idea of websites.

I finally fell back on the old standby and did a bit of asking around. So now I know that there's a place 'by the round-about' but nobody knows the name of it. No help. Directory assistance here can't look something up unless you know the exact name and location of the place. Fantastic. My guess would be they close at 5.30 or 6pm. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's 6pm and scoot out a few minutes early. I'm then going to keep my fingers crossed that they're not busy because I need these heels for tomorrow. Doh! Yes, I know. Last minute. I deserve to walk around in worn down heels for waiting so long.

So - on to peanut butter. The Irish aren't big fans of peanut butter. I've had their peanut butter and I understand why they aren't big fans. It's bland. I would hardly recognize it as peanut butter in a blind taste test. Yuck. Lucky for me, I have awesome relations who sent over Peter Pan peanut butter for Christmas. Thank you Mom and Aunt Sharon! The reason it was on my mind was because I've been eating wholewheat toast with yummy peanut butter at tea break (10am) every morning. This morning I realized I'm running out. Oh no!! And as if to rub it in my own face, I somehow managed to drop my toast when I went to take a bite and it landed PB side down on my desk. Ugh! Poor Peter Pan. It's my new room and board fee for visitors. Right along with Kraft mac and cheese. It will also be a birthday package request. Hey - at least I'm easy to buy for, right? ;-)

No comments: